Saturday, June 11, 2005

In Scotland

Finally I've settled down with an internet connection in my own room. Let me see, how shall I start. Well, lets start from when we arrive at the airport. After a long tiring 12 hours flight with 2 transits, we've finally reached the airport in Glasgow. The tiring part about long distance flight is when we have to carry our heavy bags around during transit. Besides, I did not get good sleep during the flight. Anyways, the weather here in Glasgow is really great, cooling, but occasionally, strong winds can really make you shiver. After 2 and a half days here, I'm still not used to the season here. It's summer, and the sun only sets at 11 at night. When we take a stroll out, it would feel like an evening walk. So, I have to live by the watch. Sleeping at specific hours. Interestingly, we've not suffered from jet lag. I think it's because on the first day, we were so tired of carrying stuffs up to our rooms, everyone slept with ease the first night.

Glasgow is a beautiful and big city. To walk from one place to another is really something. For instance, we need to take a 10 minutes walk from our rooms to the nearest Tesco to buy our groceries. So, we get plenty of exercise. The cool weather allows us to walk long distance without sweating, which is a good thing. However, the weather still couldn't help us relief our muscle aches at the end of the day. The architecture of the buildings here are also beautiful.

Food here are cheap, IF you are earning your pounds here. When a Malaysian like myself wants to eat, we'll have to think twice, as the conversion can really kill you. So, now, I've been training myself to eat less. However, I think whatever food we eat, goes into energy we use to get to the place to get the food itself. So it's a 1+1-1=1 sort of thing, nothing really stays as energy for long.

The night time here is cold, but we have a heater in every room and I do switch it on at night so I won't get too cold. The accommodation here is not bad besides the inconvinient design. I'll show you when I'm able to.

Classes starts on Monday and it'll be just the Malaysian students for this summer. We'd only meet the rest of the class in September. Hmmm... can't wait to meet them. Anyway's I'll also be trying to get a job then, when the schedule is not so packed.

Ok I think I need to sleep now. Tomorrow morning the seniors would bring us to the so called China Town of Glasgow, which my friends who have seen the place today, confirmed that the place is actually the size of a warehouse. Ok then, Goodnight. Ohh and during summer, the sun rises at around 4 to 5 in the morning.

No comments: