Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Back from Ipoh

Just came back from Ipoh last Sunday. I tried posting a blog Monday night but however there was an error loading my blogspot posting page and thus, ended up posting tonight. I was in Ipoh for the last whole week. Went there with my parents as they had some chores to do there. Ipoh is some sort my fathers hometown. My ancestors from china settled there and was in the tin mining industry. When I was younger, I had always looked forward to going back there as I was the only child in my family and it is back in Ipoh where I have my cousins to play with. However, we have all grown up and everyone have their own things to be busy with. So, nowadays I go back to Ipoh to visit my relatives and to enjoy the great food they have there.

Back to last week, my family went back to Ipoh the Saturday before last and there they stayed until Tuesday. When my parents where there, I stayed with them in my aunt's place. Then when they left on Tuesday, I stayed on in my friend's place in Ipoh town. This friend of mine is actually one of my batchmates from IMU and he is known as 'ah pa', which simply means father in cantonese, by everyone who knows him well in my batch. This nickname was given due to his fatherly appearance, not that he looks old. Anyway he is actually a year younger than me. Ah pa's family is in the alcoholic beverages business and they live in a shophouse in Ipoh town. It is six stories high, with an elevator to allow it's residents to travel between floors. I stayed in this place for five nights before heading home to k.l. on Sunday morning.

Ah pa's family consists of 7 members; his parents, three elder sisters, and a younger brother. All of them were very friendly, especially his eldest sister, a very jovial lady who help runs the family business. All of his family members were in ipoh except for his second sister who works in k.l. Everyone treated me very well, almost too well that I felt pretty embarrass myself. They brought me to all kinds of places to eat and ah pa's mother cooked her best dishes mostly everyday when I was there. Ah pa later told me that his mom don't usually cook dinner. And on my last night there, his father treated me to an expensive seafood restaurant. I really hope that I didn't trouble them much when I was there.

Everyday from Wednesday, when Ah pa and I have no other plans, we would go down to the shop and sit there reading the papers and sometimes, I would chat with his elder sister and also observe what they do there in the shop. Then there are times when ah pa would bring me to the shopping complexes in Ipoh and also visit friends of ours in Ipoh. There was really nothing much to do in Ipoh as it is a small quiet town. However, I enjoyed my stay there very much. At least there I have people to chat with and company unlike here in k.l. where everyone's too busy.

Ah pa decided to leave with me to k.l. on Sunday morning as he wanted to visit the computer fair held here in PWTC. However, he has planned to go to Melaka on Monday with a friend, our Miss Melaka. I did not go with him as I just came back from Ipoh and furthermore I'm going up to Genting with my parents on Thursday. I really miss ah pa's family in Ipoh. However, I really would not want to stay on longer as they treated me too well and it's not really good to owe others too much favour, which I might not be able to pay. ;-)

1 comment:

G said...

no wonder you were MIA for so long! How's Ipoh's gal?haha!