Saturday, December 18, 2004

In Ipoh

Today at noon I followed ‘ah pa’ back to Ipoh. We followed his second sister who live and work in K.L. Yup, I’m writing this blog now in Ipoh, in ‘ah pa’s home. Anyway before coming back to Ipoh, I woke up at 8am this morning with the worst hangover I ever had. Well, there was no headache but I had a very upset stomach. This was due to the night before, when our batch mates held some sort of a farewell party in Thai Club. The place was not really up to expectations but we still downed quite an amount of alcohol. Today’s hangover was a bad enough experience to give me a lesson on binge drinking. I think I’ll never do in again. Now, the smell of whisky itself makes me sick.

Back to Ipoh; I followed ‘ah pa’ back to Ipoh because his eldest sister’s daughter is reaching her first full month after birth. It’s a Chinese tradition to celebrate a baby’s first full month. Some of my batch mates asked me; what have ‘ah pa’s sister’s baby daughter got to do with me? Well, I lived with ‘ah pa’s family during the semester holidays for a week. ‘Ah pa’s family treated me very well during that week and I really felt embarrass because I could do nothing to repay their kindness. So, I planned to come visit them again today in conjunction with the celebration. And yet, today, ‘ah pa’s family treated me to an expensive dinner again. Felt really bad that I’m just eating without doing anything.

Visited ‘ah pa’s eldest sister tonight and saw her baby daughter. She was really cute, chubby and lovely. The celebration will be taking place tomorrow and I planned to give a RM50 ‘ang pau’ to her as a gift. That’s the least I could do. RM 50 might seem like a small amount, even to me comparing with what his family had given me, but I’m not really earning my money now and I do not really have that much spare money to give. I will be going back to K.L. tomorrow after the feast. However, I really enjoy visiting ‘ah pa’s family. They are really fun to be with. Maybe it’s partly because I’m the only child and ‘ah pa’s family seems ideal. ; - )

No comments: